Our Mission: Michigan
Building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases & stroke.
We’re helping individuals and communities build a culture of health so all people can live life to the fullest with healthy hearts and brains.
Heart & Stroke Research
We are the leading funder of cardiovascular research after the federal government.
- $3.7 billion invested nationwide since 1949
- $10.27 million for 70 new & continuing studies in Michigan in 2014
Equitable Health for All
African Americans have nearly twice the risk of stroke. Hispanic women tend to get heart disease 10 years earlier.
- Power To End Stroke® educated 61,689 African Americans
- Go Red Por Tu Corazón™ reached 7,000 Hispanic women
- 408 people enrolled in our new Check. Change. Control.™ blood pressure program
Important public policy victories:
- all schools must have cardiac emergency response plans
- $1.3 million more funding for trauma, stroke & STEMI systems of care
- $1 million appropriation for school PE and nutrition programs
- pulse ox testing for all newborns
- Voices for Healthy Kids grant to promote healthy food financing
We’re working to ensure:
- greater access to healthy food in underserved communities
- smoke-free air laws are strengthened/protected
- CPR/AED training is required for high school graduation
- development of statewide STEMI, stroke and sudden cardiac arrest systems of care
Helping You Make Healthy Decisions
Less than 1% of Americans have ideal heart health.
- 64,384 women have joined the Go Red movement or participated in Go Red heart-health events
- 182,423 children fought obesity through Jump Rope For Heart/Hoops For Heart last year
- 72 companies with 324,602 employees became Fit-Friendly Worksites
- 6 Teaching Gardens in schools